Swallowed Bully Stick

Discussion in 'Health & Nutritional Care' started by TylerDurden, Jan 7, 2018.

  1. TylerDurden

    TylerDurden Well-Known Member

    Hello All,

    Our 5 months old EM Bane swallowed a ~6 inch Bully Stick today. Usually, Bully Sticks keep him busy for hours, as he loves the chewing. Today, I looked away for about 20 seconds, and the entire thing was gone. I couldn't believe it, which is why I searched for the stick (without any success).
    He seems to be totally fine and does not show any signs of abnormal behavior. Also, his eating and drinking behavior has not changed at all. To be on the safe side, I called the local pet ER. They told me we should watch out for signs of vomiting or diarrhea, and call them if anything changes. I feel really bad, but would have never expected him to swallow a stick of that size.
    Has anybody had experiences with similar cases? All of this happened about 2 hours ago and he is sleeping by now.

    Thank you all.
     
  2. Hector

    Hector Well-Known Member

    Have heard of a forum member's dog swallowing a 9 or 6 inch? and had to get surgery done.
     
  3. Bailey's Mom

    Bailey's Mom Super Moderator Staff Member

    Bailey has, on occasion, swallowed a two- or three-inch bully stick that she has been chewing on, but we've never had a problem. I still only give them to her while I'm there to monitor her enjoyment.

    Just watch for any signs of distress...pacing, licking lips, starring at you with a worried look, diarrhea, trying to throw up..... If he's doing none of that then he's probably fine.
     
  4. TylerDurden

    TylerDurden Well-Known Member

    Thank you for your replies. I watched him closely today, and he still does not show any abnormal signs. He acts normally, eats, drinks, and plays, so I guess he is probably digesting the material. I‘ll continue to monitor him.
     
  5. Smokeycat

    Smokeycat Well-Known Member

    Good to hear he's doing well. It may be possible that he actually ate it instead of swallowing it whole. When Kryten was 5/6 months I gave him a 12" bully stick and then proceeded to watch him crunch it up and completely eat it in about 2 minutes. The previous one the week before took him 30 minutes.
     
    TylerDurden likes this.
  6. King Corso

    King Corso New Member

    Just keep an eye on him my King keep inhaling the kids sox I'm not even sure how he keeps finding them but thankfully he has threw them up or passed the little ones.
     
  7. TylerDurden

    TylerDurden Well-Known Member

    That's definitely a possibility. I had thought about it, as well. Bane already has a very strong bite in relation to his age. At the same time, the stick didn't seem to be very robust at all. Regardless, I'm definitely going to switch to the 12" version of the sticks.
     
  8. marke

    marke Well-Known Member

    just my personal preference , having had my dogs swallow large pieces of such stuff , i'd never give one to my dogs , definitely not robust enough for any dog I've had , beyond the maltese or French bulldog , and they can do one in pretty quickly themselves .... I've also heard all the horror stories about large weight bearing bones , I've been giving my dogs cow femurs for decades , the biggest I can find , fresh , or smoked ..... i'm sure thousands of them , there are probably 10-20 of them littered around here right now . I don't have any personal horror stories bout them , no broken teeth , no perforated guts or blockages ..............

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  9. Mark Harden

    Mark Harden New Member

    Having recovered from eating a box of vinyl gloves 2 months ago I dont trust zeke with anything. 2 blockages, 3200.00 later. Can't bring myself to give him anything other than the tough nylabones and I throw them out every couple of weeks.
     
  10. DennasMom

    DennasMom Well-Known Member

    Denna tried to swallow a 3' bully stick in one sitting... luckily it was still long enough that we could pull it back out from the piece still sticking out of her mouth. (ICK)
    Apparently that was a phase... she's given up on "get it in my belly ASAP", and gone back to enjoying the chew... but we still monitor her VERY closely around bully sticks (and basically all other big chews).

    She got a big smoked bone for Christmas... I think we'll keep those for very special occasions... she had stinky farts for 2 weeks after that 'treat'!! Merry Christmas to Us! LOL.
     
  11. Bailey's Mom

    Bailey's Mom Super Moderator Staff Member

    I laughed out loud when I read this.... I never give Bailey the big smoked bones...mostly because she insists on eating everything inside and it is "Gross!" As for the perfume affect...oh, yes...such liberal smells flowing forth from her butt....Not to be borne. You have my deepest sympathy!
     
    DennasMom likes this.
  12. marke

    marke Well-Known Member

    how big are the nylabones ? i'd be afraid to give my dogs anything I wouldn't feed them , I doubt there are dogs that are stronger chewers than my dogs , never a broken tooth .......... if the smoked ones upset your dogs stomach fresh ones from the butcher cost more but do last a little longer ..... my dogs can eat anything , and do .........

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  13. TylerDurden

    TylerDurden Well-Known Member

    All, thanks again for sharing your view point. Luckily, th swalloed bully stick didn‘t cause any damage/harm. However, he even manages to "eat" the 12 inch version within minutes, which is why I decided not to give him bully sticks anymore.
    He loves deer antlers. Do you consider them save? I think they are, but I‘m a little afraid of him damaging his teeth in the long-term.
     
  14. Hector

    Hector Well-Known Member

    Glad to hear. For antlers, buy the longest and thickest ones you can find and it wont be cheap. They can cause tooth fractures. Throw them away when they can fit in the dog's mouth which is about 3 inches for me.
     
  15. Courtney H

    Courtney H Active Member

    I only give my dogs nylabones and large frozen marrow bones from the grocery store. I no longer give my dogs any smoked bones, they get sick from them. Plus, I have heard of them splintering and hurting their digestive track. Definitely keep an eye on the bowel movements and make sure your pup isn't puking or acting weird.
     

Share This Page