Dogs and poisonous substances

Discussion in 'Health & Nutritional Care' started by April Nicole, May 10, 2018.

  1. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    So I know that chocolate, onions, and raisins are poisonous for dogs.

    I've also heard sago palms are extremely toxic especially the seeds....

    Logan has of course been trying to chew on everything outside. Including the monkey grass. I keep him away from it, not knowing if it's toxic. He also ate some of my parsley. The new house has a lot of plants. I'm going to have to do some research on them to see if any are toxic for dogs...

    So if anyone knows of something that is toxic/ poisonous to dogs, please post it.
    Thanks so much.
     
    Zeela likes this.
  2. trg

    trg Well-Known Member

    Walnuts highly toxic, antifreeze
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  3. Boxergirl

    Boxergirl Well-Known Member

    Gosh, there are so many things that can make them sick even if it's not lethal. I find it's usually best for me to go through the yard and identify everything that's growing and then eliminate stuff. Toxic things that people don't always think of are milkweed, foxglove, lilies, crocus, azalea .... also watch out for acorns and oak leaves.

    More here:
    https://www.thespruce.com/plants-poisonous-to-dogs-2132451

    Here's a big one, and I specifically always remind people that have kids. Xylitol. Many sugar free food products, including gum, use xylitol and it can be highly toxic. Xylitol is also being used in some peanut butter brands now.
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  4. Nik

    Nik Well-Known Member

    snail bait! And it tastes really good to them too so make sure it is never where your dog could possibly reach it.
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  5. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    I didn't know about the walnuts. Thanks that's good to know. We eat a lot of walnuts.
     
  6. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    Thanks Boxergirl. I'm going to make a list. The owner of the house said she has 2 German Shepard's and they always nibble on the plants and never get sick. But I would like to be sure...

    Xylitol... That's good to know, we make homemade toothpaste and sometimes use xylitol as a sweetener.
     
  7. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    Thanks Nik. I didn't know that. I've never used snail bait. But with the gardens we might have to.
     
  8. Nik

    Nik Well-Known Member

    Ya when I first moved home from college my Cerberus (since passed) and I lived with my parents for a short while. They had snail bait in their garage and he got into it one day. We nearly lost him and it was a very expensive over night vet visit. The vet warned us that snail bait smells and tastes like the most delicious thing ever to them so if they find it they will eat the entire bagand it is extremely toxic.
     
  9. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    That's awful.. I'm glad you were able to get him help so quickly.
     
  10. trg

    trg Well-Known Member

    I seen it on a crime show, documentary type show, a neighbor poisoned his neighbors dog with them.
     
    April Nicole likes this.
  11. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    We had a psycho neighbor once that liked to poison dogs. The guy who lived on the other side of him said he knows the man poisoned his dog, he just couldn't prove it. He did a lot of other crazy stuff too.. So I would love to teach Logan to not eat anything on the ground. I just don't know how to go about it. Right now he's trying to eat everything! I'm working on leave it, and I know it takes time. I'm going to definitely look into the technique it would take to get him to avoid eating anything I don't provide.
     
    trg likes this.
  12. April Nicole

    April Nicole Well-Known Member

    The sad part is dogs are probably at the same risk of getting poisoned by a person, as they are from getting into something they shouldn't have.
     
    trg likes this.

Share This Page